Water Drops - Take 2

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Some of you may have read about my Failed Water Drops Experiment.  I guess I shouldn't call it "failed" so much as "a learning experience."  I knew I needed to try it again with more light, and I knew a prettier background wouldn't hurt either!  So I died some water blue, put it in a pretty white bowl and put it on my dining room table underneath the brightest lights I have in my apartment.  You can see the glare of the light on the water in some of the picture and I think natural sunlight would've been much better, but I didn't have any at the moment so I made due.

I like this a THOUSAND times better than my first attempt but still don't feel like I got the "money shot."  They aren't as perfectly focused as I would like and this may be due to the fact that I still didn't have enough light to shoot less than f/2 and still have a fast shutter speed. And I had trouble getting something that was in constant motion perfectly focused at f/2.  I think a macro lens would do wonders for this experiment but I think even more light would help too!  I think a third attempt at this is still in my future!

DSC_0714

drops2

drops3

DSC_0691

DSC_0637

drops1

DSC_0611

6 comments:

Ashley Sisk January 12, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I think they look awesome - you may have inspired me to try it again too!

Sarah Halstead January 12, 2011 at 2:18 PM

I think they look great! Wonderful job!

MarieElizabeth January 12, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Really good! Way to keep trying!

Mom to 9 Blessings! January 12, 2011 at 6:52 PM

You are definitely getting there! Love the color :-)

Blessings,
Jill

Breanna January 13, 2011 at 10:28 AM

These are so good! I love the color.

Michelle January 13, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Ah! Here I am finally! lol!

Yes, these have definitely improved from your first try. And please, your first wasn't a failure - it was a learning experience. You realized that more light was needed and not to use the black cup! So you tried again and wow! Boy do I love that blue water in the white bowl! Great contrast! Yes, the focus is still off - but pretty close in some of them - my f-stop was 2.5, and you said you used f/2? Hum,... maybe the angle you were holding the camera to the water??? Did you use a tripod or hand-hold it? I used a tripod and manually focused on a sharpie marker I put in the water at the exact spot the water was dropping at. I had the camera pretty low/close to parallel with the surface. Don't think you want to use auto-focus anyway because the camera will never be sure what to focus on.

Definitely try again! Wait till this weekend when you have more light (I'm trying again this weekend!). I'm betting with just a bit more practice you'll get that winner! :)

Good luck! Keep me posted!

Of the above the "0691" one is my favorite! :)